7 Ways to Pumpkin Spice Up Your Home
Nothing says fall like pumpkin spice. Except maybe the movie You’ve Got Mail, but that’s a conversation for another day. The moment the leaves start to turn those delightful shades of red and orange, we’re hit with the urge to indulge in pumpkin spice everything.
But is it possible to bring this trend into your home as well? Oh yes, it is, and it’s a vibe. So if you want to take pumpkin spice out of your coffee cup and into your home, keep reading.
Whether you’re wondering how to decorate for fall on a budget or looking to go all out, we have 7 autumn decorating ideas to kickstart your journey to pumpkin spicing (did we just invent a verb?) up your home.
- Invite in All the Fall Colors
Place image: Invite in All the Fall Colors
Alt text: woman holding a mug of Pumpkin Spice latte over a book on a table with pumpkins
When decorating your home for fall, the first thing you’ll want to think about is colors. Tones like rust, mustard and sage green are guaranteed to conjure up those pumpkin spice vibes you’re aiming for.
An easy way to incorporate these colors is by using accent pillows to amp up the fall decor in your living room. This would work well in the bedroom too! Choose cool-weather materials like velvet or suede to intensify the cozy effect.
Another idea is to swap out your artwork in favor of more seasonably appropriate pieces. If you have kids, you can also decorate with a selection of autumn-themed books – updating their bookshelves and styling a small stack on your coffee table.
You could even paint an accent wall or make it pop with a cozy fall wallpaper if you’re feeling extra bold (and have some spare time on your hands).
- Incorporate a Few Fall Textures
Place image: Incorporate a Few Fall Textures
Alt text: floor, faux sheepskin rug, accent chair draped with a throw
Say farewell to light linens and hello to heavier fabrics like velvet and flannel. Adding these textures around your home is sure to make things feel more fall.
Some ideas include:
- Updating your bedding with cozy flannel (bonus points if you opt for a fall color).
- Draping faux sheepskins basically anywhere and everywhere. You can use them as a rug beside your bed or as an attractive accent over a chair or couch.
- Sprinkling throws throughout your home. We recommend a thick chunky wool material or luxurious cashmere if you’re feeling fancy. Fill a basket up with blankets to have them at easy reach – the ultimate fall living room decor.
- Layering rugs – this is a way to up your texture game and also to add in those fall colors we talked about earlier. It’s like carving two pumpkins with one knife (get it?!).
- Introduce a New Piece of Furniture
Place image: Introduce a New Piece of Furniture
Alt text: living room area, furniture, mustard futon, modern design
Caption: DHP Pin Tufted Transitional Futon - RealRooms.com
Another way to inject these fall colors and textures into your decor is by adding in a new piece of furniture. This is one way to really pledge your undying love for all things pumpkin spice.
You could go for an accent chair or even a new sofa to really change things up. This Tyler Velvet Futon and this DHP Pin Tufted Transitional Futon are giving us major heart eyes. Velvet? Check. Gorgeous mustard color? Check.
Or how chic is this DHP Callie Upholstered Bed in black velvet?
And the good news is, these fall-inspired tones and textures will work well with your decor all year round. It’s pretty much impossible to get tired of them!
- Enough Said.
Place image: Candles. Enough Said.
Alt text: Mercury glass candles on white fireplace, fall decor
Caption: DHP Pin Tufted Transitional Futon - RealRooms.com
Another surefire way to pumpkin spice up your home is with candles. You could take things quite literally and light a pumpkin spice candle in every room, but there are other excellent options too.
Use this as another opportunity to invite those fall colors into your space, with mustard, sage green, or rust-colored candles. Or you can simply pull out your classic candlesticks. Lighting candles will always get you in a cozy fall mood, and let’s face it – getting hygge never goes out of style.
You can also whip up some scrumptious-smelling essential oil blends for your diffuser, if that’s what you’re into.
- Deck out Your Dining Room
Place image: Deck Out Your Dining Room
Alt text: White pumpkins on a bar cart, utility cart, dining room decor
Another fun space to fall-ify in your home is your dining room. Adorn your dining table with mini pumpkins (real or faux will both do the trick). Scatter those candles we were talking about on every surface. Center everything with a table runner – the possibilities are endless here!
You could also change things up with a minimalistic utility cart that you can use as a bar cart or a coffee station (the perfect place to perfect your homemade pumpkin spice latte!)
All that’s left to add is friends and family (who are sure to swoon over your fall dining room decor).
- Welcome Some Spooky Touches
Place image: Welcome Some Spooky Touches
Alt text: black wine bottles, candle stick holders, glass pumpkins
And, of course, we have to talk about decorating with some festive Halloween pieces. This can be a great way to enhance the fall decor in all the rooms of your house. These touches can be as subtle as you want them to be, too, if you’re not huge on this holiday.
You can score some awesome Halloween finds at thrift stores so you won’t break the bank, plus you can partake in the upcycling trend at the same time.
Feeling uninspired? Fear not, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Floating witch hats hanging from the ceiling (a minimal look that makes a big impact!)
- Skulls, skeletons, crows, and spiders
- Different sized bats hung up on the wall – but make it chic
- Glass domes to display small Halloween items or natural elements from outside
- Vases in those rust, mustard, or sage green colors – add some twigs, and you’re all set
- Gothic candlestick holders
- Faux houseplants spray painted black (so stylish!)
- Don’t Forget Your Front Entrance
Place image: Don’t Forget Your Front Entrance
Alt text: Welcome sign, welcome mat, black front door, Halloween decor
You can’t scroll through social media in the fall without stumbling across homes decorated beautifully for fall – their beautiful front entrances embellished with festive wreaths, mum plants, and of course, pumpkins.
Take inspiration from these shots and deck out your own front entrance for fall. We’ve seen yellow pumpkins popping up a lot lately, and we’re big fans of this trend. You can totally steal that idea.
People of the World – Pumpkin Spice up Your Space!
Place image: People of the World – Pumpkin Spice up Your Space!
Alt text: Rust colored throw, rust colored accents, pumpkins, candles, fall home décor, white bedroom
We hope you’re feeling inspired by these fall home decor ideas. Let’s recap some of the top ways to pumpkin spice up your home:
- Color your world (in pumpkin spice)
- Go big with a new piece of furniture
- Fall textures are your friend
- Just add candles
- Fall-ify your dining room
- Don’t be afraid to get spooky
- Make your front entrance fabulous
Have fun pumpkin spicing up your home – we’re sending all the cozy autumn vibes your way!